Bishop of ACK Diocese of Embu, Serving in the Diocese of Embu as the Chairman of the Development Board, Vice-Chairman of the Christian Community Services of the Diocese of Mt. Kenya East
Rt. Rev. Henry Nyaga Kathii was born in 1949 at Kianjuki Village in Embu District.
Henry Kathii went to school at
1959-1964 – Primary education at Kianjuki Primary School and Mbuvori Primary School leading to Kenya African Preliminary Examination (KAPE)
1965-1971 – Secondary education at Kangaru School, Embu leading to Cambridge “O” Level (1969) and “A” Level (1971) examinations.
1972-1975 – University of Nairobi graduating with a Bachelor of Commerce Degree.
After his BA Commerce studies at the University of Nairobi, he later studied for, and obtained:
• A Certificate in Religious Studies (University of Nairobi)
• Diploma in Management of Co-operative Institutions (Jiloviste, Czechoslovakia)
• Bachelor of Theology (University of South Africa)
• Master of Arts (MA) in Social Sciences – Leadership (Azuza Pacific University, USA).
1977-1981 – General Manager, Maridadi Fabrics, a project of the ACK Diocese of Nairobi.
1981-1986 – General Manager, Embu District Co-operative Union
1986-1989 – Operation Manager, Kenya Planters Cooperative Union (KPCU)
1964 – Baptised and confirmed
21st May 1968 – Gave his life to Christ while a student at Kangaru High School
1972 – Elected Prayer Secretary in his First year (1972) and Christian Union (CU) Secretary (1973).
1975-1977 – Worked as Organising Secretary, Scripture Union of Kenya
1977 – Licensed as a Lay Reader of the ACK St. Mark’s Church, Nairobi
1977- 1990 – Interim General Secretary, Kenya Students Christian Fellowship (KSCF)
1982-1990 – Served as the Lay Secretary of Mt. Kenya East Diocesan Synod and Embu Diocesan Synod, as well as the Lay Secretary of the Provincial Synod and its Standing Committee.
1990-1993 – Director of Urban Community Development Programme, National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCCK).
1993-2006 – General Secretary, Bible Society of Kenya.
2nd July 2006 – Consecrated as the 2nd Bishop of ACK Diocese of Embu
2006-2014 – Bishop of ACK Diocese of Embu
• Bishop Henry Kathii has served the Church in various other capacities including:
• Preacher and a Bible Study teacher in many Secondary Schools, Colleges, Universities and Churches.
• Being attached Clergy at St. Paul’s Cathedral in Embu Diocese, All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi and St. Paul’s Church South “C” in the Diocese of Nairobi.
• Serving as the ordained pastor of Faith Community Church of the Nairobi West Prison in Nairobi (1992).
• Serving as the Clerical Secretary of the Diocese of Embu until his election and Consecration as Bishop. He has also been the Clerical Secretary of the Provincial Synod.
• Serving in the Diocese of Embu as the Chairman of the Development Board, Vice-Chairman of the Christian Community Services of the Diocese of Mt. Kenya East and as a member of the Board of Finance.
In April 1976, Bishop Henry Kathii married Susan Gatavi in a wedding solemnized by the Diocesan Bishop, the lated Archbishop David Gitari. They have been blessed with three grown up children, Philip Mugendi, Daniel Kithinji and Ruth Karimi.